The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Monday, June 04, 2007

them fightin' words in my block and we in the hood

Dear god in heaven. I have NO idea how I managed to fit everything that happened this weekend, into the actual weekend.

Friday after work, I got to my gym and realized that I had NO keys on me (my gym pass is on my key ring). I wasn't the last person to leave that morning, so I hadn't locked the door behind me and in my sheer brilliance, didn't grab my keys, something I have never done in my entire New York City life.

So, I left my gym at 125th and Frederick Douglas Blvd (8th ave- west side) and made my way to my roommate, Shannon on the east 70's. This is not an easy trip. I don't know a single New Yorker that enjoys the trip from the West Side to the East Side.

This extremely hot and muggy afternoon was no different. The next 2 hours were some of the most painful of my life.

But I finally made it home to find my keys on my nightstand, exactly where I left them, for which I was eternally grateful. After a quick shower to wash off the gallons of sweat, I headed down to the Times Square area to meet New Favorite Friend, Maria for drinks while we waited for Karen to finish at the gym.

As Maria and I sat at an Irish pub, drinking the fruitiest drinks imaginable, a bizarrely familiar face walked by. Before I could stop myself, I called out his name.

"Ben!"

He comes over to my table, and I'm not even certain he is going to recognize me. He is The Ex's best friend and I haven't seen him in 2 years.

He hugs me warmly and we chit chat for a bit.

"I heard I missed you at The Benefit," he said to me.

I grab his hand, and say, "Oh my god, please don't tell me The Ex was pissed that I was there!"

"No, no, no." he says. "Not at all. Pissed is definitely not what he was."

This statement is cryptic to me and I want to push him on what he means, but decide that it's probably not in my best interest to go there. I leave it and Ben has to get going anyway. It was a weird moment for me.

Maria and I leave to meet Shannon at Chevy's, since we are seeing a movie at the theater directly next door to the restaurant and order margaritas while we literally inhale about 3 baskets of chips. We have a really good time. I almost don't want to go to the movie, because I want to stay and drink more margaritas.

Shannon and Karen join us, then we head over to see Knocked Up, which is, hands down, one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

After the movie, everyone heads home, while I head to Brooklyn to meet Spatch for a house party.

As I am following the directions to the party, the area gets more and more deserted and I am mildly scared, something that almost never happens to me in Manhattan. After getting a little lost, I find the building. It's the scariest building I have ever been in.

And I have lived in Russia.

And it smells. Really bad.

Ugh.

But I finally find the party and I find Spatch. We cozy up onto a bed in the corner of the room and entertain other party-goers who drift in and out over the course of the evening. Most everyone there is a part of the Burning Man community and everyone is welcoming and kind. At one point in the evening, I found myself laying with my head in one guy's lap, with him playing with my hair and the my legs slung over another guy while he massages my calves, all in a very non-sexual, non-threatening way. As it gets later and I am getting ready to go home, I learn that a couple that is leaving, lives about 20 blocks from me and offers me a ride home, which is, potentially the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me.

I sleep in late the next morning, it's hot out. Really hot. I can only summon enough enery to lay on my couch in front of my fan and watch the Yankees make absolute asses of themselves in Boston.

Then I head down to Hell's Kitchen for a good friend's 40th birthday party. We start at his apartment, where we drink- A LOT and eat- A LOT. Then we move to a bar across the street where we eat and drink some more. It's a helluva good time.

Sunday I can barely function. I wake up. I eat something. I have to go back to bed. I finally get my ass out of bed around 1 in the afternoon, as we have picnic plans with some friends and we have to go grocery shopping.

As we're getting everything ready for the picnic, the rain starts.

So, we move our picnic dinner to our apartment.

Our friends come over, with a surprise in tow.

My ex-best friend, R, is with them. She, who ended our friendship because of my "inappropriate behavior".

R is in town for training for her new job.

Karen (R's former roommate and my current roommate/bestfriend) and I are both stunned that she is coming. I guess she doesn't think things are awkward!

The night turns out much better than expected. We all sit around and talk and laugh for several hours, awkwardness having been dispelled rather quickly. At the end of the evening, she even proposes all going to a Yankee game together.

After everyone leaves, Karen and I sit and discuss our weekends. We talk of our dream lifes- how everything would have worked our for us in a 'Perfect World'. I am not surprised as I map my dreamworld out, that it's not much different than the life I am living right now.

Today's title from: You Know I’m No Good by Amy Winehouse