The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Friday, June 20, 2008

I might've lived my life in a dream, but I swear this is real

So, I have previously mentioned that I have a connection with the band, R.E.M. This connection landed me at a private party for said band at a Mario Batali restaurant and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame after party about a year and a half ago.

Having recently released an album, R.E.M. is on tour. I watched their concert at Jones Beach on Saturday from back stage and was privileged enough to hop a ride back into Manhattan with them in one of their tour buses. Tonight, I watched them at Madison Square Garden from the 5th row on the floor. To my left and a few rows back were Maggie Gyllenhaal with Peter Sarsgaard and to my right about 20-30 feet were the Olsen twins, acting like the most obnoxious, attention hungry brats in existence. The concert was amazing, even if they didn't play my favorite song, Nightswimming, despite my personal request to Peter Buck (lead guitarist).

As I walked from the floor to the V.I.P. area after the concert(did I mention my All Access pass?), I walked past One of My Obsessions.

When I love something, I tend to love it passionately.

And I love Stephen Colbert passionately.

I had heard earlier that he was on the guest list, but I didn't believe that I would be lucky enough to actually be in his presence. And yet. There he was. Talking to Susan Sarandon.

I waited and waited. I wanted to shake his hand. I wanted to tell him how much I worship him. I wanted to tell him that I actually have tickets to a taping on Tuesday, and could he maybe give me a shout out?

I did none of these things. I was a complete chicken. My friend that I was with had to instigate a conversation with him for me, and as I shook his hand, a million other people swooped in, stealing my moment. No conversation was had.

And yet, I shook his hand. I looked him in the eye.

I am complete.

Today's Title from: Leaving New York by R.E.M.