The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Monday, October 22, 2007

I don't want to perish like a fading horse

I'm here! I'm alive!

It's been a crazy couple of weeks.

I spent 4 very lovely days in Chicago, and I have decided that I would really like to live there. It feels a lot like New York, but much more laid-back and without the overbearing tourist presence. Plus, the men were seriously digging on me. It was.... interesting.

This weekend was one for the record books.

Saturday night, I attended a bachelorette party at Banana's place, that was easily one of the most entertaining nights of my life. "Special" cake, men dressed in drag, a stripper weilding some kind of grinder and some of the craziest people I have ever met all left me laughing harder than I have in ages. It is my firm belief that nights like this are good for the soul. They remind me that life can be tough, that responsibilities can be overwhelming, but I can still forget all of it for a night- and just be. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Sunday I spent at Storm King Art Center with 13 of my closer friends. We picnicked in the unusually warm October afternoon, then wandered the grounds for hours, stopping frequently to stop and laugh at nothing in particular. On the drive home, I was so exhausted, I laid my head on the shoulder of the tall man next to me in the van, and when he leaned his head over to rest on my head, I was so grateful in that moment for friends who make me feel so safe and warm.

Life is entering a chaotic season. My dad will be here for a visit soon, where he will inevitably make me feel grossly inadequate as a daughter. Then I will have surgery, and my sister will be here to take care of me. Then it will be Christmas and I will go home for a week.

Then it will be my birthday and I will turn 30. And I will probably have an enormous mental breakdown at this point.

Today's Title from: Forever Young by Alphaville