The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sorry, Not a Match

Okay, I'm sure that today's post is going to garner me plenty o' hate, but I'm going to put it out there anyway.

So, I get a LOT of shit from friends/family/acquaintances about my unwillingness to date white/caucasian men. I get lectured constantly about how my dating life sucks because I limit myself to such a small group of men (that group of men being black men, preferably with large arms).

And so, I ignored my gut instinct and tried an experiment being championed by Ana. I bought tickets to a Yankee game tomorrow night for Oscar and I (he doesn't even know). Obviously, I am not taking Oscar. None of my friends can go and I'd really like to be there because its the end of the season, and things are close for us in both the American League East Division and the Wildcard race. Its an important time in baseball.

So, I posted an ad on Craigslist. Here's what it said:

I have tickets to the Yankee game on Wednesday. The person I planned to go with flaked, and I refuse to go to games with people who aren't Yankee fans. If you are one, this could be your lucky day!

They're playing the Baltimore Orioles, which isn't a particularly significant opponent, but it is the end of the season and each game counts if we want to lock-in the Wildcard (see! I really do know baseball!). The seats are nosebleed, but I have a bit of an adventurous streak and can be talked into finding ourselves a better view (wink, wink).

I am: White. Blonde. Cute. Witty. Intelligent. Funny. Curvy/voluptuous (choose your euphemism).

You are: FUNNY (this is a must). Smart. Attractive. Punctual.

I'm not looking for love or a LTR or a friend with benefits or any other term for a man getting the most possible sex out of the equation with the least amount of effort. I just want someone to go to the Yankees game with and to buy me a hot dog. And maybe a beer. And maybe make out with me at the end of the night, that will totally depend on how funny (and attractive) you are.

So, send me a pic and give me a good reason to go take you. And a picture of you naked is not a good reason to take you- so don't send me any of those, mmmkay?

End post.

Clever and cute, right? My inbox FLOODED with replies. Cute, funny, intelligent Yankee fans galore. I responded to many, with a picture of myself. Fairly confident that I would find someone I could at least have a good time with. I mean- I'm cute and I know it. I get hit on A LOT.

Everyone that I replied to were white guys (no black guys even responded).

Only one of them responded to me. He said, "sorry, not a match."

I've sort of been waffling about this all day. Part of me is hurt and upset and wondering if I am a lot more hideously unattractive than I've always believed. The rest of me is just thinking- meh. I already knew this. I don't know why I needed another bright, shining example of why I don't date white men.

I mean, there's a reason I was perenially single before 27. Back when I thought my stunning wit and intelligence would be enough for a man to see past the large ass attached to it. Everyone has their preferences, my outward appearance apparently is a turn-off for an entire race of men. I'm not sad. I'm not upset.

I just don't want to get any more shit about expanding my dating pool.