The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Shine through times with rhymes bright like yellow

Put it on your calendars, kids, my tonsillectomy is scheduled for November 14th. It probably should be done sooner, but I've got a conference in mid-October to plan around and my dad is coming into town early November, plus there's the 3 week recovery time to factor in. My Thanksgiving is probably going to be shot, but I just eat lots of mashed potatoes and call it good, I suppose.

The end of Oscar has been as anti-climactic as our relationship (out of bed, that is. In bed it was plenty climactic). The first day was hard-ish. My only real breakdown was when the return text from him came- that was suprisingly kind and gracious. But every minute since then has been easier, probably because I've been killing my feelings for him for weeks now. There's nothing left anymore.

And being footloose and fancy free apparently agrees with me. Last night, as I made my way from work to the animal shelter that I volunteer at in East Harlem, then over to a friends house afterwards- it was a virtual parade of men hitting on me. It has never happened with the frequency and intensity that it did last night. My head was spinning. One particular guy was incredibly persistent about getting my number, and it took some time to get him to acquiese to just giving me his number (always what I do when men are persistent on the street. Best way to avoid stalkers).

Then, I slept through the night. For the first time in ages. I didn't wake up at 3 am cursing Oscar for promising to call and not following through. I didn't wake up at 4 trying to figure out the most efficient/least painful way to end the relationship. And I didn't wake up at 5, achingly sad for what will never be.

And that is the best feeling of all.

Today's Title from: I am Somebody by Jurassic 5

Labels: ,