The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The sight of you leaves me weak

So, I briefly touched yesterday on The Great Shoe Find of the weekend at Nordstrom Rack. Let me see if I can recreate the scenario for you, so you can fully appreciate how Karma finally managed to send me some good.

Karen and I had gone into Nordstrom Rack for the sole purpose of finding shoes for Karen. I already have too many shoes (really, is that possible?) and just browsed through my size, only looking half-heartedly. I had told Karen before we even went in, that I had a rule for new shoes- they had to be either a Mary Jane or T-strap, as these are two styles that I don't currently own, but have been wanting. Also, throughout the day, I had mentioned over and over again how much I love the peep-toe look.

Karen found herself a pair of beautiful boots. At Nordstrom Rack- only one shoe of a pair is on the racks, and you have to go get the match from the nice employees after waiting in a very long line. With boots, it's necessary to try both on. So, once Karen had gotten the match to her boot, we sat down again while she tried them on. As we were sitting right by the 8's (my size), I let my eyes rove over the shoes, giving them one last cursory glance, when I saw them.

The details:
Black
4 inch
Suede
Mary Jane strap
Peep-toe
KATE SPADE

Dear mother of all that is holy. I carefully pulled the shoe out, disbelieving that such a perfect shoe could even exist. I flipped it over, heart racing, to check the price. $79.60! It was too much for me to bear. I had to rationally talk myself down. 'Kate Spade shoes tend to run narrow,' I told myself, 'and you have very wide feet. Don't get too excited about this...'

I slipped the shoe on. It fit like a glove.

Karen and I were speechless. The woman next to me told me how nice they looked.

Another wait in the long line for the match.

And they were mine. All mine.

Today's Title from: Can't Take My Eyes Off of You by Frankie Valli