The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

I Want to Wake Up in the City That Never Sleeps

I've gotten frighteningly attached to New York. So much so that if often feels like a limb is being severed when my plane takes off. Everyday that I am away from it, I am reminded of all the things that I miss.

1. The convenience of the subway. Yes, you read that right. Holiday traffic and bad weather makes driving here an absolute nightmare. I've spent more time in a car than doing basically anything else, except maybe sleeping.

2. Heat. It's cold in New York. And it's frighteningly cold here. But in New York, my building is heated by a boiler, which we have no control over. Often the heat spewing from the radiator in the corner of our living room is so intense that we open the window. This is the standard form of temperature control in New York City. Here, in Smalltown, USA- people have to pay gas bills. They are worried about them being too high. Thus, their heat is generally turned down low. Thus, I am ALWAYS cold. I sleep with a sweatshirt and socks on, with about 3 blankets on top of me. I miss being warm.

4. The bodega's on the corner and the ubiquitous pizza places, when you're in the mood for a quick slice.

5. Men who find me attractive.

6. People who understand that bigger hair isn't necessarily better.

7. Single people over the age of 24.

8. Noise. I can't sleep in the total calm and solitude. I need street noise. I need noisy neighbors. I need car alarms and garbage trucks.

Labels: