The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

If I Can Make it There...

So, True Life on MTV last night was about 4 people moving to New York City. It was a laugh riot for me and my roomates, all of whom moved here from someplace else and have struggled and fought like demons to make it here.

Every single person on the show had absolutely, completely unrealistic expectations about moving to this city. They all expected jobs immediately (within a week). They expected apartments to be big and spacious and affordable. They expected doormen and an immediate and thorough knowledge of the subway system through osmosis. Easily, the funniest part of the show was when the spoiled little rich girl was on her way to a job interview and asked someone else on the train if it would be stopping at her stop, and they informed her that she was on her way to Brooklyn and that she needed the F train going in the opposite direction. She said (in a Valley-girl type voice, imagine Cher from Clueless), "There's an F train, that goes in another direction?"

God, that's hysterical shit. It's called Uptown and Downtown, sweetie. Read the fucking signs!!

It was an interesting hour of television and reminded me so much of my first days here and how absolutely terrified I was and determined that I would not be heading back home with my tail between my legs in resignation. Most of the cliches about living here are true. The people are rude. The sidewalks are crowded. We wear a lot of black. The cost of living is extremely high, even McDonalds is more here.

But making it? It's the best damn feeling in the world.

Labels: