The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Friday, March 10, 2006

First Date

First dates suck, don't they? I've only had one really phenomenal first date, with my ex-boyfriend. Even now when I think about it, I fall mildly in love with him all over again, remembering how powerful the emotions that I felt for him that night were.

I had a first date last night. And while it wasn't anything like the Best First Date Ever, it was pretty good, which is pretty amazing considering he was a half an hour late and that is difficult to recover from where I'm concerned. I was so pissed that I had left and was walking into the subway entrance when he called and gave me the 'train trouble' excuse and apologized profusely. So I gave him another chance, and he redeemed himself.

He can talk me under the table though. It was weird to be out with someone and have the pressure to be lively and funny totally taken away because they are way more dominant in the conversation than me. It's never happened to me before. It was kind of nice! But also a little unnerving, as I felt like my powers had been taken away! How can I make someone fall in love with me if I can't wow them with my wit?

Anyway. I liked him enough to let him kiss me briefly at the end of the night and say yes to a second date.

P.S. I had this shrimp pasta for dinner that had lots of garlic in the sauce and for the rest of the night, I could not stop these horrible shrimpy-garlic burps from erupting constantly. I would try to drown them in my beer, but I know that a few of them escaped. Either this man has semi-numbed olfactory senses or he can totally look past my regurgitated shrimpy-garlic breath and see my inner beauty.... (this was the main reason the kisses were brief and completely close-mouthed!)