The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Making out that they're okay when they're not

What used to be an occasional annoyance has become an almost everyday occurrence. I mentioned it once previously.

I just walked into my mail room and the UPS guy said to me, “Has anyone ever told you, you look like Britney Spears?”

He shut up when I threatened to punch him in the face.

A few weeks ago when Karen and I went to see Cloverfield (I didn’t like it, the handheld camera style made me sick. Plus, living in New York, you see all the discrepancies. Like it would have taken much longer to walk from Spring St to 59th. And how one second they were in Brooklyn and the next shot they were in Midtown? I don’t think so.), I was in the bathroom and the girl at the sink next to me said, “Has anyone ever told you, you look like Britney Spears?”

I laughed caustically. “Yes, I get it quite a bit.”

“When you walked into the theater, my husband and I thought you were Britney Spears,” she told me.

This is maybe taking it a little too far. But I stopped short of threatening her with physical violence.

Now the fact that this is happening with increasing frequency scares me. Because she is such a train wreck these days and is never photographed looking even remotely respectable. Please, people, stop comparing me to her.

I brush my hair. I don’t have breakdowns on an hourly basis. I wear panties.

Please, please- let it go.

Today's Title from: The Fear by Pulp