The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I've had my share of sand kicked in my face - But I've come through

As I set here at my desk, having successfully survived court this morning and still in possession of an apartment to live in, I can actually feel my stress levels decreasing.

And it's a beautiful thing.

For the first time in 2 weeks, I don't have a nagging voice in the back of my head reminding me of my impending court date.

For the first time in 2 weeks, I am not compelled to look at rooms available for rent on Craigslist.
And for the first time in 2 weeks, I can breathe deep and feel that everything really is right in my world.

I haven't talked about it much, but this whole saga began because I filed a complaint against my management company when the president of our tenant's housing association told me I was paying too much rent based on the laws of rent stabilization and the amount that the previous tenant was paying. Lots of legal mumbo jumbo.

I said- a chance to pay lower rent? HELLS YEAH.

They warned me of retalitory tactics by the management company. Because if I win with my complaint, then the management company not only has to lower my rent, but also has to pay me back all retroactive overpayments.

And I've lived there for over 2 years.

It adds up.

I wasn't prepared for the nastiness that would ensue. And the tears that would follow. And how familiar I would become with New York State Housing Court.

The icing on the cake is that my lawyer told me this morning that DHCR (a division of housing here in The Big Apple) has been awarding people in my building who have filed similar complaints with treble damages. If you were too lazy to follow my wikipedia link to what treble damages are, it means that I get back TRIPLE what they actually owe me. If they rule in my favor. This is still undecided. DHCR is not exactly speedy.

I've been playing the numbers game with this 'treble damages' information all morning.

And here's what I've mentally spent my money on.

1. A car. A Jeep Liberty to exact. Pre-owned. Manual transmission.
2. A trip to Greece. Email Boy would have to come, since he speaks Greek fluently. And Ana wants to come too.
3. A trip to Paris. For me and Karen.
4. A book on how to communicate in relationships for Oscar.
5. A healthy investment portfolio
6. A new living room furniture set
7. A new bed.
8. Sessions with a personal trainer
9. A kick ass laptop
10. A pair of Christian Louboutin shoes

I'm thinking its time to get my passport renewed!

And take a nap. After all the lost sleep over the last 2 weeks, I'm EXHAUSTED.

Today's Title from: We are the Champions by Queen