The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

And it ain't a dream, things ain't always how it seems

I think I've made it clear previously that I LOVE baseball. I love the nobility and grace of the game. I love the power of the swing and the poetry in a perfect pitch. I love baseball players who clearly LOVE the game. And I love teams that play with heart.

I've never been a huge fan of Alex Rodriguez. He plays dirty ball. Plus he's cocky and arrogant and a cheater.

But I LOATHE Barry Bonds. He sullies the integrity of baseball with every swing of his bat and makes a mockery of those who still believe in the spirit and soul of the game.

And all this hype about him beating Hank Aaron's home run record is heart-wrenching for me. It is a cavernous empty victory.

So, I turn to Rick Reilly for comfort; a columnist for Sports Illustrated, who describes my feelings on this matter perfectly in the most recent issue:

Remember this: The man who held the record before Bonds- one of the most principled and honorable men you will ever meet- is reluctant to even speak to Bonds on the phone, much less be there to witness the record breaker. Just because a thief paints over a masterpiece doesn't mean the masterpiece isn't still underneath.

Thank you, Rick Reilly. Thank you.

Today's Title from: Warning by Notorious BIG

Labels: