The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Monday, May 14, 2007

New York, New York, Does it taste right?

So, Anonymous (you know who you are....) recently requested a Chloe Guide to New York City. This is WAY too much to cover in one post. So I'm going to start a series of posts. To be finished when I damn well please.

Enjoy. Let me know if you have any questions/suggestions.

Because they are probably the most prominent factor in my life in New York City and I am a certified foodie, I'm going to start with restaurants.

My Favorite Restaurants for Dinner:

1. Garage on 7th Ave and Christopher St in the West Village. Live jazz every night of the week. Absolutely delicious food that isn't too overpriced and a waitstaff that has NEVER disappointed. The ambience in the place is also fabulous and the one time I got seated near the fireplace was basically the highlight of the year for me. This is where I chose to go for my birthday dinner and where I recently took Email Boy for his birthday dinner.

2. Smorgas Chef. Karen, Shannon and I just discovered this place on Saturday night as we wandered around the West Village looking for a place to eat (we are big on discovering new places). This absolutely adorable swedish place could not have been a better pick. Every one of us absolutely loved our meal and seriously, our waitress was potentially the best waitress I've ever had. The menu is fairly extensive too, so I can't wait to go back and try everything else, although it will be very hard to veer from the meatballs with lingonberry sauce (better than Ikea!) which essentially gave my taste buds an orgasm. We have been raving about this place for approximately 48 hours straight.

3. Milon- 1st ave between 5th and 6th street. It's on a block with lots of dive Indian places- where men stand outside and all beg you to come in. I was taken here by a friend, and have subsequently taken back many friends and everyone falls in love and goes back often. It's not high quality Indian, but it's abundant and it's delicious and it's insanely cheap. Everyone that works there knows me and always greets me enthusiastically and one man has even proposed to me. Tempting. Very tempting. The inside is decorated with a ton of red pepper lights hanging from the ceiling and you're so close to your neighbors you could acurately assess their brand of deodorant, but this only contributes to the racuous and fun vibe.

4. Vynl- 9th ave and 50th street (I think....). It's Karen and my fall back restaurant. This is where we go when we can't think of anywhere else to go. It's basic food, but delicious and it has music star themed bathrooms- Cher, Elvis, Dolly Parton and Nelly. It's not necessarily for a Night Out, it's for when you want to go someplace comfortable and welcoming.

5. I always struggle with where to go for Mexican. Mama Mexico is crazy fun and I would do nearly anything for their guacamole. However, I have yet to find anything on their menu entree-wise that I have fallen in love with. On the other hand, Arriba Arriba's taco salad is like crack to me and I find myself craving it on a weekly basis. The downside? Their guacamole is sub-par. In a pinch, I'll generally always choose Arriba Arriba, but sometimes the lure of the guacamole will send me to Mama Mexico....

6. Lemongrass Grill or Spice for Thai. They're two completely different restaurants. Lemongrass Grill is quiet and laid back, with extremely friendly waitstaff. The food is delicious and their dessert of coconut jasmine rice with fresh mango is taste-bud nirvana. Spice (University Place and 10th st) is a little more hip and a little louder with a really fun vibe, but always a wait. This is the first restaurant where I began to get a little more adventurous with food choices and for various different reasons, will always hold a special place in my heart. I've had a LOT of Thai in this city, and these are the only 2 places that I will go back to.

7. I've only been there once with Spatch, but Sala One Nine in Chelsea was a phenomenal tapas experience, even if it was where I met The Biggest Ass-hat in the Universe, The Italian. The waitstaff was very friendly (our waitress even warned me off about The Italian- I should have listened!!!!) and attentive and the food scrumptious and filling without being too much. The ambience was intimate and romantic and if she'd been feeling better, probably would have induced me to make out with Spatch. :)

8. Burger Joint- Le Parker Meridien Hotel. A not-so-secret burger place hidden in a corner in the lobby of a chi-chi hotel. It's a DIVE. But the burgers are oh-so-delicious. The menu is not at all extensive. Burgers, fries, milkshakes and beer are essentially the only items, but that's all they need. I've never gone and not had to wait in line FOREVER, or had to use every ounce of New York bitch that I possess to finagle a seat. It's always insanely busy for very good reason. It's just that good. There's always a debate that Shake Shack (Madison Square Park) is better, but I am firmly in the camp of Burger Joint and I won't be budged. Plus, Shake Shack can only be open during good weather since all seating is outside.

9. Lombardi's on Mott St in SoHo. This is a major tourist destination and is in virtually every guide book about New York City, but that's because the pizza is DELICIOUS. It's the oldest pizza joint in the city and it has a nice homey feeling to it, complete with red-checked tablecloths. Did I mention the extremely tasty pizza?

10. Amy Ruth's- 116th and Lenox. This restaurant has 2 strikes against it, you have to haul your ass all the way to Harlem to go there, and it was introduced to me by Scott. That being said, this is some damn good soul food. The mashed potatoes are real, and the fried chicken is everything that fried chicken should be. There's always a line and the service could definitely be better, but oh man- it's worth it. Much better than the more famous Sylvia's.

To Come:
Favorite Brunch Places
Favorite Dessert
Favorite Things to do on Saturday/Sunday Afternoon
Favorite places to Hang Out
Favorite Bars

Let me know if you y'all have any other suggestions.

Today's Title from: New York, New York by Moby

Labels: