The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Monday, April 30, 2007

You're gonna find yourself somewhere, somehow

I don't really have any right to be upset. I learned, when we went to Ireland that she is the kind of friend who will ALWAYS put men over friends. But, when Christine came into town, after not seeing her for 2 years, I expected that I would get at least a few hours of her undivided attention. Not so. When she wasn't texting the boy that she was out here to see, she was texting his best friend to talk about the relationship. Did I mention, that she has only hung out with this boy ONCE? For a few hours. They exchanged numbers and when he came back to New Jersey, they began a rampant text messaging relationship. She came out here to see him, and deigned to give me one day of her trip, which I took a day off work for, only to have her spend the entire day texting HIM. I was furious. Then when she used me as a power play move last night (i.e. he wasn't paying attention to her, so she called and made plans with me, then when he came around, she cancelled her plans with me) I resolved to not answer any more of her calls or her texts.

Argh.

She didn't get to ruin my weekend though. I still went to brunch on Saturday morning with Spatch and her friend, Ana and had an absolutely fabulous time. I love to be with people who I can show every aspect of my personality to and never have to worry about censoring anything I say. As we planned future outings and stopped in at restaurants we want to try, I was overwhelmed with a feeling of gratitude for friends such as these. I still went out with my girls and had a BITCHIN time with them in Park Slope on Saturday night. And even though we couldn't have been more ignored by the men-folk there, we still laughed our asses off. I still went and had a facial at Mario Badescu yesterday with Karen, which was one of the most exquisite experiences of my life.

You know what was really interesting? After our facials, Karen and I met up with Shannon, walked around Saks a little, then went over to Fairway for some grocery shopping. Having just come from facials, Karen and I were completely makeup free. And I'm okay being completely makeup free, but I generally acknowledge that makeup is an essential component to my being even remotely attractive. The interesting part, is that I got almost more attention in my au natural state than I do when completely made up. I'm confused by this, but Karen claims its completely normal. She says I'm 'less threatening'. Any men out there want to shed any more light on this anomally?

And I am happy. Personally, professionally, in basically every aspect of my life- I am happy. But happy isn't really the right word. I am at peace... content. A summer of being single lays before me, and it doesn't terrify me. I don't obsess about what's wrong me. I am invigorated. I am excited. I am eager.

Today's Title from: Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae