The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Got some, dirt on my shoulder, could you brush it off for me?

I walked in the door to Sobaya, a traditional japanese restaurant in the East Village at 8:43, a few minutes before our scheduled meeting time, and Spatch was already there waiting for me. I had come from having drinks with co-workers so I was already 3 glasses of wine ahead of her and feeling pretty damn good.

We sit at the bar and Spatch teaches me what all the different dishes are and which ones she recommends. I opt for the shrimp tempura soba and she gets a vegetable soba. We ask for help with our sake selection, then we chat like long lost 15 year old BFF's while we wait for our meal.

To date, I have not been in The Redhead Fan Club. I have found Spatch's boyfriend to be emotionally immature and have tried convincing her on multiple occasions that she deserves better. It didn't help that at her birthday party he made little effort to talk to the rest of us and was visibly uncomfortable with the large group of people. But I judge people by my own standards, and group situations are what I do best. I can easily converse with most anyone and generally don't have trouble fitting into most situations. Not everyone adapts as easily. I have a hard time remembering this.

As she told me about recent interactions with The Redhead, I found myself more willing to accept that he is not The Bad Guy. I'm not ready yet to believe that he is The Good Guy, but I am willing to admit that he doesn't fit as neatly into The Box of People to Hate as neatly as I thought he originally did. And quite frankly, compared to some DECIDEDLY Bad Guys (Scott? Anyone?) The Redhead is a veritable saint.

As always, my time with Spatch ended too soon. I can't believe we wasted a year of our lives just reading each other's blogs, when we could've been friends the whole time! Argh!
________________________________________________________________

I got an email from Patrick, The Blind Date, yesterday. He had to go out of town for a work emergency and wants to go out early next week. I'm excited. But I wish I was more excited. I wish that life experiences hadn't taught me to be guarded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's literally taken me two fucking days to finish writing this post. Sorry for the delay folks.

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!

Today's Title from: Dirt Off Your Shoulder by Jay-Z

Labels: ,