The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

When I look in the mirror, I can't believe what I see

I keep thinking of things I want to write about!

So, I've lived in New York 3 1/2 years now. And I have come a really long way. In a lot of ways, but most noticeably in the area of fashion. This point is driven home every time I look at my photo on my work ID (which I use about 20 times a day).

Let me paint a picture for you.

Outfit I was wearing the day my photo was taken for work- 3 years and 4 months ago, an outfit that I remember wearing often my first winter here.
-long sleeved red t-shirt from Gap
-ankle length denim skirt that can only be described as- voluminous
-BLACK POLAR FLEECE VEST, I am totally not kidding here. I wore this vest A LOT. Oh god, that is so sad.
-the killer is the shoes- black, loaferish, rounded toe, huge chunky heel, the kind of shoe that Stacey and Clinton on What Not to Wear hate with a passion unbridled.
-a fake Kate Spade handbag

Outfit that I am wearing today:
-cropped, glen-plaid, cuffed trousers from Ann Taylor
-pale pink corduroy jacket that I bought in Montreal
-white cami with lace trim- I think also Ann Taylor
-knee-high black boots with a suitable 2-inch, non-chunky heel and a pointy toe.
-multi-strand funky necklace of pinks and lavendars from BCBG
-a real Kate Spade handbag

Some of you may be thinking- short pants and knee length boots? WTF? Trust me on this one, this is a very New York look (it might be a look that is big in other places, but I don't know, because I haven't left New York in about 5 months, and when I was last home in Smalltown, USA, it definitely hadn't caught on there QUITE yet). Approximately 50% of the women in this city leave their house dressed in this fashion every day.

Do you see the difference people? My reminiscent horror is directed almost exclusively at my shoe choices, but it was all very, very bad.

Thank god for fashion magazines and very fashionable best friends.

Today's Title from: The Good Life by Weezer