The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

In a New York Minute

Well, I'm on Week 4 of man-less, fried food-less life. The food- I'm getting used to. The lack of sex? Not so much. I thought that maybe the insane amounts of working out would help to curb that specific appetite, but it seems that it just increases it. Who knew?

Today, I have to take my brand-new boots to the shoe repair guy (one of my best friends these days), because on Saturday night, as I walked from Union Square to Webster Hall for a KT Tunstall concert, the stiletto heel slipped in between a sidewalk crack and broke. At first, I could kind of walk on it if I was careful. After the concert we went to a movie only a few short blocks away and I managed. By the time we left the movie, the heel was broken enough that I couldn't even walk in the shoe. I had to remove the shoe and then walk the streets of New York in just my stockinged foot trying to catch a fucking cab, which it turns out is quite difficult at 1:00 am on a Saturday night in Union Square. It was not one of my finer moments.

Did I also mention that I was recently hit by a bike messenger? I walked in between 2 cars to cross the street and as I stepped into the street- POW- he ran right into me, the basket on the front slamming directly into my stomach. Luckily there is plenty of padding there.

There's always a debate about when a person becomes a 'New Yorker'. My friend, Andy, says you have to live here at least 5 years before you can call yourself that. But I think it's the experiences that you have here that make you a 'New Yorker'. You can live here 10 years, but never really experience the city (i.e. never ride the subway), thus never truly becoming a 'New Yorker'.

I feel that I can safely call myself a New Yorker.

Labels: