The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

And the Award Goes to...

Abby, my beloved roommate, is leaving on Sunday, but she is determined to go out with a bang.

Last night, I had just crawled into bed (11:30ish) when my phone rang .

Abby: (Loud background noise) Where are you?
Me: Home in bed. I work 2 jobs, remember? Where are you?
Abby: Midtown, I want to get out of here.
Me: Are you drunk? Just come home!
Abby: I need you to come and get me!
Me: Abby, just get into a cab and come home.

She puts her drunk cousin who is visiting on the phone-

Sophie: How do I get home from here?
Me: Walk one block east. Take the subway. (giving her directions to the subway was treacherous enough, if she'd taken a cab, she would have managed to end up in the Bronx, I know it)
Sophie: I don't know which way is East.
Me: Ask someone on the street to point you in the direction of 7th ave.
Sophie: I don't trust people on the street, can you come and get us?

And this is why, at 11:45 on a Wednesday night, I was barreling down the West Side highway in a cab, and then 10 minutes later, barreling back up that same highway in the back of the same cab with 2 incredibly drunk girls, stuffing Twinkies in my mouth and flashing everyone. Which has been documented, because they made me take a picture of it.

I am officially, The Roommate of the Year.

I'd like to thank the New York Housing commission for making this possible and the Blarney Stone on 8th ave, for providing the means for my roommate to get stupendously drunk.