The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

My Sister and Melissa Etheridge

Let's discuss music again. Can I embarrass myself and tell you that I LOVE the song Momma Said Knock You Out by LL Cool J? It's my most favorite song to run to. It's tough for me not to sing along, which can be embarrassing at my gym, which is in Harlem. Awesome.

Randy, who sits right next to me at work, often plays music on his computer. I don't mind this, unless it's the ubiquitous Judy Garland or Dolly Parton. Anyway, earlier today, a Melissa Etheridge song was playing. It immediately took me back to my favorite summer ever, when my sister and I were subbing for someone with a paper route. It took 2 of us to do it, as neither of us are particularly coherent in the wee hours of the morning. She drove and I took the papers to the doorsteps. We heard this particular Melissa Etheridge song every single morning. Now, whenever I hear it, I remember those days with my sister, the mornings that sucked, but the bond that we were forming that still ties us so closely together to this day. I have a lot of good friends, but there is no one else on this earth that I can talk to without ever having to give any backstories and who understands everything better than anyone else, other than my sister. She feels the same voids that I do, eats the same foods to fill said voids and even frequently gets confused for me (we look astonishly alike, despite a 5 year difference). She lives in my hometown with her husband and kids, and often people come up and talk to her thinking that it's me. She loves to tell these tools that I live in New York and work for a famous company. Don't play the who's-living-a-cooler-life game with me. I win- EVERY TIME. But I digress. Everyone should have someone like my sister in their life.