The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Gym Games

Many months ago, I spoke frequently of Gym Boy. Due to other distractions and the fact that I rarely go to the gym by my apartment anymore, he's been a little neglected. But never forgotten. I would see him occasionally when circumstances permitted me to go to 'our' gym, but I had other men on my mind, and wasn't interested in making life more complicated than it needed to be.

Last night was Harlem Gym Night. I always wonder if I'll see him, but it's not the reason I go there. As I walked out of the girls locker room, he was standing on a machine directly in front of the me. Our eyes LOCKED. Like some invisible string was pulling us together and neither one of us could turn away. My mind raced- should I smile? should I wink? what do I do? Inevitably, I did what I always do, nothing. Because I am a chicken. I turned and headed for cardio and he went back to his manly weight-lifting and we continued to play 'the game' all night. Sneaky looks. He would come and talk to people standing near me. Crossing the gym to go the water fountain closer to the other person. Etc, etc.

This is getting ridiculous. It's been going on for 6 months.

Isn't it time that someone made a move? Should I just walk up to him, give him my number and say, "When you're ready to do more than look......"?

I never talk to anyone at the gym. I'm worried that I come across as a total bitch because I totally keep to myself. But, despite all evidence to the contrary, I'm kind of shy and get all nervous about talking to people I don't really know. Especially where I am so clearly in the minority. I bet he thinks I'm a bitch. I'm gonna have to get friendlier.