The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

The College Years

I just got a craving for the place that I went to college. When I left, 2 years ago, I swore that I would never return. That place is a homogenized mess. I spent way too many wasted years there, and I walked away with a mighty skip in my step. I got a smell today that reminded me of my favorite sandwich place there, and although I've always sworn that you can find anything in New York City, I don't know that there's any place that makes sandwiches as delicious these were. And out of nowhere, I wanted to be back there, eating that turkey on focaccia with the friends that I haven't seen in 2 years.

Maybe I've allowed myself only to remember the bad things. The men that never liked me, the judgemental remarks and the cookie cutter people. I've forgotten about the unique things that made it special- the drive up the canyon to go skiing, the movies for less than $10, my favorite sandwich shop, the endless camping opportunities, and even, some of the people.

Is this what growing up is? Realizing that maybe, all this time, you've been wrong?