The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The L word

Yesterday was my friend's birthday. For indentity purposes, we shall call her L. I'd like to tell you about our friendship. We worked together and bonded very quickly upon discovering that we both have hordes and hordes of useless information crammed into our tiny noggins. Our friendship blossomed. We ate lunch together everyday. We sat 10 feet away from each other, but still spent half of our day talking to each other on Instant Messenger. Slowly, we began an out-of-work relationship. She introduced me to her friends, but I didn't introduce her to mine because for the most part, they are boring. She told me of one of her friend's interest in me, and encouraged me to date him despite all of my puritanical reservations, and he eventually became the love and the ex that I refer to so frequently. She changed my life. It was under L's tutelage that I began baring cleavage in public, drinking, and sometimes taking off my clothes for boys (well, really, just one boy). She moved a few months ago and I miss her. I miss being able to talk to her about sexually explicit things without getting embarrassed. I miss going to movies with her when she's been drinking and she laughs so hard that she snorts. I miss playing in the fountains at lunchtime on hot summer days and the drunken phone calls in the early am. To my darling L- Happy Birthday.

Progress at the gym. Slow but steady. I walked out of the locker room last night, and he stood right there, as if waiting for me. No words exchanged, but some serious eye contact. I walked away, and then turned and looked over my shoulder and he was still watching me, so I smiled, my first smile at him! ha! Through the dazzle of my teeth, I tried to send brain waves his way that said, "Come over here and give me a better workout than this treadmill!!!" But alas, we continued to keep this relationship in silence. Maybe he has a voice like Mike Tyson and he's self-conscious about it and doesn't want to talk to me. Maybe next time I'll slip him a note that makes it clear that I don't find talking at all necessary for what I have in mind for us.