The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

If I don't let myself by happy now, then when?

As I walked to the subway in Brooklyn this bitterly cold morning, I ran my mind over what will go down in my personal history as a truly spectacular weekend.

Friday:
I went home after work to get some sleep in before what I knew would be a late night.  I had movie plans with BFF, then a friend had just found out she had passed the New York bar exam and celebrations were in order. As I drifted into sleep, my phone rang.  Jose.  A good friend that I used to work with. A mutual friend had been laid off and everyone was meeting for drinks at a bar in midtown.  

"Will B-Boy be there?" I asked him.

"No, sorry babe, I asked about him, and he's at a wedding in the Bahamas."

I'm disappointed, but I'd like to see all my old friends, so I get out of bed and get dressed and head to midtown.  I schmooze with friends for about a half and hour before leaving to meet BFF.  We see Role Models, which is potentially one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.  Plans aren't set yet for the night by the time the movie is over, so I head up to Betsy's place to figure it out.  

I'm chilling out on Betsy's bed watching Betsy have a clothes crisis when I get a text message.

"Where are you? Come hang out with me." From: B-boy

My heart starts RACING. This could be the opportunity that I've been waiting for, for FIVE years.  The crew from earlier is all still out and he texts me the details.  Betsy and I make our way down there and drink and dance and flirt for hours. B-boy and I are glued to each other's side and everytime he touches me, I sizzle down to my toes. 

We leave around 1:30.  Separate post for the ensuing hours to come.

Saturday:
Nicole texts me about a national demonstration on Proposition 8.  I'm tired beyond all reason, but I want desperately to fight for the cause that I believe in.  A group of us head down to City Hall and stand with the thousands of others there, fighting for equality.  It is an incredibly moving and inspiring experience and I find myself crying more than once. After we're done chanting for equality, we find our way to a neighborhood bar and laugh ourselves silly for a few hours. 

A few hours later, I am heading to Brooklyn to meet Spatch for dinner before going to a party together later.  We talk animatedly for hours over drinks.  Her smiles are so prevalent and genuine.  It feels good to see her so unbelievably happy. While she finishes up her costume for the evening, I lay on her bed, mellow from my one glass of wine (my tolerance is practically nothing at this point after four months of spectacularly lightened drinking) replaying my night with B-boy over and over in my head.  I feel ridiculously happy.

We head to a space in Prospect Heights for a brand new kind of party for me.  Its a party where sexual activity is encouraged and there are lots of beds and mattresses to facilitate this.  I go into the evening not planning to participate in any sorts of these activities, but to spend my time with my friends on the dance floor and have deliberately have dressed fairly conservatively. I spend most of my evening observing in wide-eyed fascination.  Realizing that there's still a lot of things that this small town girl still hasn't experienced, and I'm okay with that.

Around 3 am, I've had enough of the action and leave to go stay at Caryn's house, since I'm not interested in trekking back to Harlem from deep Brooklyn she has offered to let me stay at her house. We talk until I can't keep my eyes open for one second longer.  

I wake on her couch this morning to her perfect adorable cat, licking my foot.  We find our way to a delightful french bistro for brunch, and I am always in awe of just how well the two of us get along.  Every time I see Caryn, I leave being so very, very grateful to have her friendship. 

Today, is for spending the day on my couch, coming down from the non-stop activity of the weekend and having deep talks with my BFF about what kinds of changes I want to make in my life (i.e. no more chasing a relationship and trying more casual dating). 

Today's Title from: For Me This is Heaven by Jimmy Eat World

Labels: