The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

My Dating Adventure

It's amazing. All of the things that can take place in one evening.

He was late. My perfect man was late. No call from him, and after a half hour of waiting, I was very close to leaving. My phone rings. It's my friend, his ex-girlfriend, who I have deliberately NOT told that I occasionally see her ex in a dating sort of scenario.

"I'm calling you for Trevor," she said.

"Oh?" I said, "what did he say?"

"He got stuck in meeting, he's on his way," was her reply.

Apparently he had left his phone at home. He only had his Blackberry on him. My number is not in his Blackberry. Hers is. He knew that she would have my number. He called her and asked her to call me and tell me that he was going to be late. AWKWARD!!!!

He was an hour late. But dinner was fantastic. Conversation, even better. While I don't see a relationship happening, he told me that he thinks I'm really cute and that I have a great personality. Take that, bitches!

A friend of ours showed up, happened to be going to eat at the exact same place as us. He stopped and talked to us for a while.

We left, walked down to Strand in Union Square and did some book shopping. We both are ravenous for the written word, so it was a perfect activity. We wandered the aisles together and debated biographies of Alexander Hamilton and Alexander the Great. I bought the latter, he bought the former. When a man was hitting on my as I considered Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man (bought it), Trevor came and rescued me. It was delightful.

As we traveled down 14th street together, we ran into someone else we knew- who was with someone that I used to work with at a movie theater in high school. I haven't seen this guy in 10 years. It was very, very surreal. He has turned into a tall, broad, beautiful man. He was ecstatic to see me. So ecstatic that he forced me to take his number (he didn't have his phone on him, otherwise he would have probably pulled my ears until I gave him mine) and made me promise to call him so that we can go to dinner sometime. I've never met anyone more eager to have dinner with me. It was hysterical.

Trevor and I rode the subway together. Hugged goodbye at his stop.

He's promised to take me to see La Boheme.

He won't become my boyfriend. But he will make me a better person.