The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Falling...

I have a date tonight with the most perfect man I have ever met. The first night I met him at a birthday party, I was smitten. I was ecstatic when he ended up at a dinner with me and 2 other friends, especially when flirting commenced for the rest of the evening. So, imagine my surprise when he called up my friend the next day and asked her out. She knew how I felt about him, but started dating him anyway. Not a big deal. I hadn't really staked any sort of claim on him. I know his type, they generally don't date such a strong-willed person such as myself. They prefer the meeker women.

They dated for 3-4 months. I went on a trip with them and saw with my own eyes that they were 2 people who, without a doubt, should not be together. It was a little bit like watching a train wreck. She was clingy and helpless. He was irritated. I stood idly by, watching my perfect man, struggle to make it work with someone who couldn't have been more wrong for him.

Not too much later, they broke up.

She cried on my shoulder.

He asked me out.

She doesn't know that I'm about to embark on Date #2. Maybe it makes me a bad person. As her friend, I should probably not be going out with her ex-boyfriend.

But I don't care.

He's a genius. Certifiable. He's funny, and not just ordinary funny, but clever. We laugh a lot. We sing show-tunes together. We discuss Greek antiquity. He admires my volleyball playing skills, and trash talks me from the other side of the net. He held on to my foot so I wouldn't float away as we inter-tubed down the Potomac river. As we were running to meet some friends, he let me stop for a minute to appreciate the sight of the 4th of July fireworks going off over the White House. He makes me want to be a better person.

I was standing on a bench. My heel caught in the cracks of the bench as I made a move to step down and I lost my footing and fell.

He caught me.

He was standing right there, as if waiting for me to fall, so he could catch me.