The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Monday, July 11, 2005

The Philosopher's Cabbie

Last Thursday, Michelle and I were cruising down 1st ave in a cab that had gone off duty, but we sweet-talked the driver into one more fair, hauling our hot asses down to the Bowery Ballroom. I was telling her about my recent sex-capade (that's being liberal, it was really more of a romp) and how it may have finally rid me of those final vestiges of emotion for my ex.

"Clearly, I should have had sex with someone else sooner!" I said.
"Yeah," the cabbie chimed in, "Fuck 'em!"

He repeated this particular sentiment multiple times before dropping us off and Michelle was so enamored with his logic that she tipped him an extra buck. I don't know if he was referring to the literal or figurative meaning of the F-bomb, but either one sounds like a good idea.

But I've been thinking about those little pearls of wisdom everyday since. And I decided that I'm ready to open myself up to the possibility of a relationship again. The thought of giving my heart again doesn't fill me with dread, but more with a little bit of hope. Obviously, I won't be actively looking for it. That's the most sure-fire way to make sure that it doesn't happen. But instead I will merely be open to the possibility.