The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Monday, June 13, 2005

There are Rules

Here's my mantra for the day- no expectations, no expectations. Here's why- I went out on Saturday night. The night actually began at a Mets game, which was a TON of fun. I love the Yankees, nothing will ever change that, but Shea Stadium was a LOT of fun. A motley group of guys, all from Queens, bought me a hot dog and entertained me and my friend for a good chunk of time. After the game, I met up with Michelle at her apartment in the E. Village. We had a couple of beers, then headed out. At a bar in the W. Village, I met someone. It all began at the bar, trying to get the bartender to get me some drinks, he stood next to me and laughed at my jokes about flashing the bartender to get better service. At some point, something clicked and we ended up spending the entire evening at each others' side. He was interesting, very interesting. He was smart, funny, and he loves baseball and was suitably impressed by my knowledge of baseball. I stayed at that bar until 3:45 am. Not hoping for anything, not intending to take him home, just wanting to continue talking to him. Eventually exhaustion settled in and it was time to go. He asked for my number. I gave it to him. The best part is- I didn't kiss him. I kept all slutty behavior in check, and hopefully left him wanting more. Here were our parting words to each other, as we stood next to each other, and him with his hand lightly resting on the small of my back:

Me (lightly, with flirtatious tones mixed in): I'm going to be really disappointed if you don't call.
Him: Well, you're not going to be disappointed, because I'm definitely going to call.

Now, as my roommate likes to tell me regarding meeting people in bars- There Are Rules. He wasn't drinking on Saturday, because he was driving, so I know it wasn't beer that was holding his interest in me, but regardless, I still met him in a bar. So, I am trying to be realistic. I have no expectations. If he doesn't call- that's fine! Just keep repeating that to myself..... and maybe I'll believe it.