The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Give a toast to the sun, drink with the stars

Monday night was amazing.

Karen and I arrived at the Waldorf Astoria around 12:15, because that's when the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony ended. And walked right into the After Party, despite the presence of girls with guest list clipboards who should have stopped us but didn't, because we have apparently perfected the art of looking like we belong.

Being in a room full of famous people is weird. It's confusing, because when you first see them, you think, "I know him/her, how do I know them? Did I work with them? Did he used to do my hair? How?"

And then you realize that you know them because you watch them on TV/listen to their music/make fun of them on a regular basis.

The first person I noticed was Seth Meyer from Saturday Night Live (although we did see Maya Rudolph walking out of the Waldorf earlier). We watched Aamer Haleem (VH1 VJ) introduce himself to Paul Schaeffer (music guy on the Dave Letterman show). The Furious 5 rocked the champagne table (and one of them grabbed my ass). Kid Rock elbowed me. Karen was given the number of a famous bass player. I marveled at the number of piercings in Slash's face. At the end of the night, I surreptitiously watched Eddie Vedder and tried to figure out if there was a way I could introduce myself without looking like a complete tool. And as we walked out, we casually noted that Michael Stipe had definitely done some head shaving since we had seen him last.

Rumor had it that Jay-Z had made a brief appearance, but we didn't ever see him.

It was a party chock full of industry executives. I heard the word "project" said about 5,000 times. Don't these guys ever know how to just let loose already?

And there were more. People I knew I should have recognized but I didn't.

Karen and I were proposed a 3-some by an interesting gentlemen, who couldn't stop dropping the fact that he was a producer. When we declined his oh-so-tempting offer, he seemed to lose interest in us rapidly. I can't imagine why.

Paparrazzi took photos of Karen as we walked out, because she is tall and beautiful and people assume that she is 'somebody' (not that she isn't, she just isn't a famous somebody!).

As I hiccuped my drunk ass all the way home, after fighting off one of the bell boys at the Waldorf who begged us to let him come and cook and clean for us, I was content in having managed to successfully dress myself 2 nights in a row, befitting for such glam parties and managing to go both nights without making a fool of myself.

Today's Title from: Cowboy by Kid Rock