The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

If looks could kill, you would be an uzi

I got my hair cut last night. Don't everybody panic. It looks almost exactly the same. My dark blonde roots have received a lovely highlighting treatment, and I have a few more layers around my face, but otherwise, it's the same a-few-inches-past-my-shoulders-gorgeous-mane-of-honey-blonde goodness it's always been. I finally managed to achieve ideal bang-length, as he always leaves them too long. I want to scream at him that he has eyes too and can see that I have an unnaturally large forehead, and if the bangs are too long, they get tucked behind my ear, because I am a rabid ear-tucker, thus defeating the purpose of bangs!!! But last night, as he was cutting them, I made multiple comments on how short I like them and how fast they grow and he seemed to pick-up on my not-so-subtle clues. I was hoping to walk away with more layers, but Ed, my hairdresser, claimed that too many layers can make the hair look too thin. Uhhhh, again, let's discuss the obvious- my hair is ridiculously thick, cutting a few more layers will not make me look like Gollum (did he have hair? I remember it as bizarrely thin and stringy, but my memory might be faulty). I promise.

Did I mention that I'm wearing a winter sweater to work today? That's right. It's August and its freezing. I haven't used my air conditioner in at least a week and I only got to my wear my new swimsuit twice, although I'm taking it to Montreal and plan on swimming in the hotel pool everyday because I miss swimming pools terribly. Hopefully they also will have a hot tub for additional chlorinated water enjoyment. Mmmmm.

I miss Dave. He's still in Europe and I want him to come home now.

And now, because I love Jason Mulgrew of Everything Is Wrong With Me blog fame and because I love music, I am going to steal one of his ideas and list 5 songs that I am obsessed with these days:

1. Belief (acoustic version)- Gavin Degraw. I LOVE songs like this- simple, quiet and passionate. This was playing on my iPod as I passed Marc's place of employment last night on the walk to the salon and my heart nearly broke at the sheer longing that this produced in me.

2. Midnight Train to Georgia- Gladys Knight and the Pips. I don't really have an explanation, I just recently downloaded it and I really just can't get enough. Plus I am in awe of the amount of soul that she can convey through her voice. It humbles me.

3. Overjoyed- Stevie Wonder. I went to a dress rehearsal of the big Independence Day program that they do in DC while I was there over the 4th weekend and Stevie Wonder performed at it, and it was a religious experience for me. A friend and I were discussing the absolute tragedy that it is that so many people aren't familiar with Stevie's earlier work and only associate him with songs like Part-Time Lover and I Just Called to Say I Love You. These songs are not representative of the pure genius of this man and in my opinion, should just be scratched from the record. Overjoyed is a symphony of longing that never fails to give my goosebumps.

4. Shoop- Salt 'n Pepa. Seriously. I've always liked this song, but have recently actually started paying attention to the lyrics, which make so much more sense to me as a sex-having woman. It's smart, sassy and sexy and I can dance around to this for hours.

5. Brain Stew- Green Day. The chords on this song are so tight. And I am incapable of listening to it without moving my head to the beat. Its angry and it rocks and its perfect for the subway ride home on bad days.