The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Zoo Station

Yesterday morning, when I sat down on the subway (which I swear is being run by pack of monkeys- it took 20 minutes to go 3 stops this morning, which is irritating), the little girl sitting next to me, immediately snuggled up into my shoulder and fell asleep. And since I am a relatively nice person, I let her stay there until her sister came and got her to get off at 59th street. For the 10 minutes that her head rested so trustingly on me, I rethought my abject horror at the possibility of bearing children. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Last night I went to a comedy fest/charity gig with some co-workers and then because I had been drinking heavily for several hours, was misled into thinking that answering the phone when D called, was a good idea. And then I proceeded to agree to go out with him on Saturday night. We'll see how that turns out.

Tuesday night was potentially one of the most perfect nights of my life. Email Boy and I had dinner together at IHOP in Harlem. And I thought the waitress was going to kill us because we stayed so long, talking and laughing. He told me about a girl he had gone on a date with, and the total lack of chemistry. His favorite drink is a cosmo, and I asked him if he ordered this on dates. He told me no, he kept things a little more manly on dates. "Can't show them the real me too soon," he said.

What are we doing? I wondered. Isn't the point of dating to be with someone who you don't have to put up any fronts with? Isn't it supposed to be about being the most true version of yourself? Why would you be with someone if you can't show them the real you? And I why am I deliberately not dating the one person that I can be that with? And vice versa? We are fools.

After dinner, he dropped me off and I went upstairs and did some ironing while watching the Yankee's beat the Rangers. The perfect end to the perfect evening.

Labels: