The Virginity Monologues

My Life. The Mistakes I Make. Uncensored.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Down, not at all Out

I'm crazy exhausted. Too many late nights. Not enough sleep. My head hurts. I forgot to wear mascara today (which makes a big difference, trust me) and I've got the fullest day ever in front of me. And yet- I'm in a great mood. Apparently it takes more than fatigue and horrific humidity to dull my spirits.

Yesterday I was talking to my best friend. I was telling her about how I remember a time when I would wake up in the morning, so excited for anything that was going to come my way. I haven't felt that way in a long time.

"I know," she said. "I miss that part of you."

My immediate reaction was to blame it on certain people. But I thought some more about it, and remembered a philosophy that I have been spouting to unhappy people for ages, before I joined their ranks- We are responsible for our own happiness.

I will do well to keep that in mind the next time someone is biting me under the table.